Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Ski Bum

I honestly have a hard time believing when I look at these pictures that that is MY child, and that he is big enough to even walk, much less SKI.

That aside, Luke had his first ski experience last weekend and he did amazingly well. He had said on multiple occasions that he wanted to ski, but when the time actually came he was hesitant. He looked less than thrilled and nearly cried when we were suiting him up in the helmet and boots, but after a little brownie he was feeling much better.
Getting his skis fitted to his boots

The Gondola ride was pretty exciting for Luke. He had a ton of questions about how it worked, how it would stop, where we would get off, and if Daddy would be there when we arrived at the mid mountain.
Of course, Daddy was there and he and Luke shared some snacks, a drink, some live music, and a bit of warmth around the fire pit before heading out.
Mia loved bopping around to the music also!

My parents met Jay the ski instructor on the chair lift recently, so once we knew when we would be giving it a try with Luke (we decided to wait for the right weather so that Luke enjoyed his first day on the slopes), we gave him a call. They ended up doing a 2 hour lesson with just Luke, Michael, and Jay. This also allowed Michael to gain a few tips on how to help Luke learn to ski going forward.
Luke meets Jay
Starting by pushing along with only one ski on
Learning to lean forward in the boot
Coming down on his own!
Jay gives Luke a "lift" to save some of his energy - climbing up the hill on that little carpet in skis is hard work for a 3 year old!

Mia loving being out and watching her brother - such the life of the party!
As Luke, Michael, and Jay were working on some skills on the little hill with the carpet, I turned to say goodbye to Mia and my parents who were heading down for a nap. When I turned back I couldn't find Luke anywhere on the little ski school slope. Finally I called Michael on his cell to find out where they had gone...and he tells me that they took the chair lift up and that they would be back down in just a few minutes. I couldn't believe it when I looked up the mountain and saw my little guy just skiing down on his own!
They took the lift up a few more times and came down the same run. Michael said that Luke did great and that on one of the runs, he didn't even fall. Honestly, kids learn so much easier than adults. I mean, who learns to ski in less than 2 hours?!
Luke was thrilled with his accomplishment and had a great first experience. Jay was great and we will most definitely be going back this season so that Luke can get another ski day in with Daddy and Jay.
Proud Mommy with her little ski bum

1 comment:

Jay Palace - Aspen/Snowmass said...

Julie,

My blogger statistics system told me that someone recently came from your blog over to mine and that's how I found this awesome posting you've written.

I really appreciate your kind words about me, and absolutely love the photos. I've never seen photos shot by parents before, and it's fun to see Luke and I on the slopes.

I do hope you find the time to come back up this season (or next year) and Luke and I can tear up the Big Easy again.

I'd love to link over to this posting if it's alright with you.

Thanks again, and regards to Mike, Mia and Luke

Coach Jay