Thursday, November 4, 2010

Life with a preschooler

Well, I guess Luke truly is a full-fledged preschooler now. Sort of scary to think about how quickly the time has gone. I am lucky that he sometimes still likes to pretend he is a baby because this affords me the opportunity to hold him (and in doing so, feel with complete amazement how big he is, seemingly all of a sudden).

Luke's nearly 4 months as a three-year old have been ones of great fulfillment and great challenge (for us!). He has become amazingly well-spoken. Sometimes I feel like I'm speaking with another adult. He can now really identify and express to us his feelings and emotions. My recent favorite is when he tells me that he can't or won't say something because he's "too shy." So cute! However, he has also learned to use this voice and new-found vocabulary to express his very strong opinions and tell me why he absolutely is not doing what I have asked him to do. Ay! Pressing the limits is pretty much the name of Luke's game right now. I can see his mind working, "I know that I probably shouldn't be doing this, but let's just try and see what happens."

In the past 6 weeks or so Luke's daily afternoon naps have become hit or miss. I would say that he naps about half of the time now. The days that he does not nap, he rests in his bedroom for about an hour and a half (about the same amount of time that he would sleep). A no nap day means bedtime at or very close to 7pm. Bedtime on a nap day is closer to 8:00 or 8:30 (and not sleeping until close to 9). In general Luke wakes in the morning sometime between 7:30 and 8:00.

Luke goes to school three morning per week for 3 hours. He pretty much tells me every school morning that he doesn't want to go, but once he get there seems happy and sometimes even forgets to hug this Mommy goodbye! He is doing great in school and seems to take part in a variety of activities while there: pretend/imaginative play, art, sand play, puzzles, playground time, music, and cooking jobs. On Thursday afternoons he goes to swimming lessons and usually tells me that he doesn't like going to them either, but once we get there appears to have a fabulous time. He also is becoming quite a good swimmer and is learning some new water safety skills. I think we may continue to swim through the winter - it really seems like the right time for him to make some progress.

Some of Luke's favorite things at 3 years, 4 months old:
-Chuggington the TV show
-banana and chocolate milk, french toast, cheese, yogurt, and fruit (pretty much all he eats)
-coloring, painting, stickers, and just art in general
-reading books
-swinging and playing at the park
-going out to eat at one of his favorite restaurants (McDonald's, Antipastos, Panera Bread, Chilis)
-Happy Hollow and the Discovery Museum

New skills:
-counting through 39
-writing letters
-drawing faces
-pedaling his tricycle and fire truck FAST!
-hitting a baseball
-identifying shapes
-making up silly rhymes

Wow - what an amazing journey parenthood is. We are so blessed to watch him grow from a baby into an amazing little boy.

No comments: