Thursday, September 23, 2010

Luke's swimming skills

I just wanted to share Luke's incredible progress in swimming lessons today. I am so bummed that I didn't have my camera with me because it would have been great to get a few picture - definitely next time!

Luke started the fall/winter session at AVAC last week. I requested that he have Miss Carli as his teacher again for this session if she was available mainly because I thought it would be nice for Luke to have some continuity. However, she is not working during the lesson time that we signed up for, so Luke has a new teacher: Mr. Anthony. In the two weeks since the session started, Luke has made so much progress. He is putting his face and head underwater, arms in front, kicking behind, and looking more like a "swimmer." Mr. Anthony lets Luke wear his goggles for the first half of the lesson, and then takes them off for the second half so that Luke gets used to swimming both ways (important for the safety aspect apparently - you don't want a kid who falls into a pool to start scrambling around for his goggles!).

I am amazed and I think that Luke is really responding to having a male teacher. Luke claims that he doesn't like Mr. Anthony, but the second he arrives at the pool, it sure looks like he likes him! He smiles and happily gets in.

I'll post some swimming lesson pictures soon!

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

That is fantastic! Go Luke!